Saturday, April 13, 2013

Springtime Meditation


One day last week it seemed that meditation was all over Facebook.  I kept seeing a quote.  To paraphrase, it was:  Everyone needs to meditate for 20 minutes a day.  Unless you don't have time, then you should meditate for an hour.

I found this poster on the Web that explains various types of meditation.  I was unable to find a real source for it, although I wish I could.

 I love this chart because of the ease in which it teaches newcomers to meditation the various ways that traditional meditation can be performed.

Personally, with two children and a full time job I very rarely have time to sit in passive meditation.  While maybe that means I am the target for an hour of meditation a day I personally prefer a more active type of meditation.

I have read a few articles on completely active meditation.  This one from eHow (How To Do Active Mediation) tells of how to meditate while being very active during something like running.

I guess then I will call my form of meditation mildly active meditation.  My absolutely best time meditating is during gardening.  I pay attention not only to my own breathing and feelings but it also puts me completely in touch with the elements.  It is not only a chance to worship Mother Earth but to put myself in the moment.

The best thing is again that anyone can participate in mildly active meditation.  It doesn't have to be gardening.  It doesn't even have to be outside.  Can you not meditate while knitting, crocheting, or sewing?  Can you be completely in the here and now while doing carpentry?  As long as you can slow your breathing and take the time to completely be in the here and now, then I believe you are accomplishing the goal of meditation.  It is my belief that the goal of meditation is to teach oneself how to participate in life more fully.  Any hobby can allow for this time, if it is done correctly.  For correctly, I would think it would be this:

1.  Focus on your own body and feelings.  Slow your breathing by counting to 4 on both your inhale and exhale.

2.  Focus on your surroundings.  What can you smell and see?  What can you feel?

3.  If any negativity or outside thought comes to mind, thank it for being there, let it go, and then move on.  This is a time to focus on the positive and the good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment