Friday, April 26, 2013

A Spring Fresh Home!

Last week on Facebook I came across a recipe for homemade Febreeze.  I was intrigued because I have always liked Febreeze but as I get more cautious about the number of chemicals around the house, and the expense, and toll they are taking on the environment I started wondering about this.  The recipe that I saw was this:

1/8 cup fabric softener (like Downy April Fresh)
2 tablespoons Baking Soda
24 oz hot tap water

Combine all the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to combine.  Make sure to shake before using it.

This sounds great.  Fabric softener has a wonderful smell and the baking soda will certainly absorb odors which is what you want from Febreeze.  But, we are back to using chemicals to make this air freshener.

Of course, if all we are looking for is fabric softener then why won't my homemade fabric softener work?  My homemade fabric softener is:

1/2 gallon white distilled vinegar
20 drops of essential oil (I prefer lavender for sheets and citrus for everything else)

The big problem with the homemade fabric softener and the above recipe would be the baking soda/vinegar combination.  While it would be fun for the kids to watch, it would not really help with the air freshener issue.  Vinegar is a natural odor destroyer as well but only loses its own odor when it dries.

I also came across one other natural odor absorbing ingredient, but only for those 21 years or older.  Vodka.  So, here is my twist on the fabric softener Febreeze:

1/8-1/4 cup vodka (the cheap stuff works just as well as the expensive)
2 tablespoons baking soda
24 oz hot tap water
20 drops essential oil of your preference

I tend to use a lot more of the essential oils than others but I love the smell of them.  Adjust them to your liking.  I have come across a different recipe that calls for 100 drops of essential oil.

Just a note of caution: always spot test anything you are using on your furniture to make sure it doesn't discolor.  This goes for the fabric softener air freshener as well.  Remember, you never know how your upholstery will react to anything sprayed on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment